Just as your finances start to recover from the holiday season – we are coming up to the start of the new school year.
Top tips to save on back to school
Get the stationery list ahead of time. If you school hasn’t already sent out a stationery list, check their website of phone the office to request one. This helps to save on a last minute rush, and allows you to shop around for deals.
Spread out the cost where you can. Stock up on common stationery items when you see them on sale. Ask your teacher what is needed immediately, you may find that certain subjects won’t start until later in the year, allowing you to spread the cost out more.
Save Money on school clothes
- Let friends and family know that you would welcome good quality hand-me-downs.
- Try to avoid expensive, branded clothes if you can. If your child is particularly fashion-conscious, you could compromise by mixing a certain number of ‘trendy’ branded tops with less expensive generic-branded bottoms.
- Always buy clothes at least 1 size bigger for your child, to ensure they last through any growth-spurts.
- It may be worth investing in good-quality durable clothes that will last a whole season and can be passed on the younger siblings or sold second hand.
- If you have to buy a school uniforms you could look for second hand options on Facebook, Neighbourly, Trademe, in uniform shops, or school noticeboards.
Compare School Deals and Save
Compare prices if you have time – some popular places to buy school stationery and school supplies include: Paper Plus, supermarkets, The Warehouse, Warehouse Stationery, Whitcoulls, Kathmandu, Adairs, Onceit and luggage.co.nz
Compare these great back to school deals for school bags, drink bottles, lunch boxes and pencil cases.
Top back to school NZ school bags – primary
3 Piece Donut Backpack
Top back to school NZ School bags – Senior
Compare Top 10 back to school NZ pencil cases
Marvel Pencil Case
Compare Top 10 back to school NZ Drink Bottles
Compare Top back to school NZ lunch boxes
*Prices correct at 28 January 2019 and subject to change
The Cost of Schooling in New Zealand
There is no doubt that the cost of schooling in New Zealand can hit parents hard – school donations, BYO electronics, uniforms and clothing, extracurricular activities. The NZ Herald reported that parents of a child born in 2017 can expect to pay almost $40,000 for their education – an average of $3,076 per year!
We can help take some pressure by helping you save on you broadband and power. How much could you save?